kel-tec 380

Gun control is having a steady hand and having a CCW cause you CAN! Talk about: Guns - Knives - Self Defense - Survival
WE DON'T NEED GUN CONTROL, WE NEED CRIMINAL/VIOLENCE CONTROL.

kel-tec 380

Postby sarge » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:47 pm

I am sorry if you own one , i think it's a piece of crap. It hurts to shoot, it likes to jam, it doesn't like to feed, it not accurate at all, ( that's because the sights suck), after about 50 rounds the slide would stick and the trigger was terrible, better to get a bersa 380 or sig. or a walter. I am thinking about not allowing them in my future CCW classes. If you paid more than $25.00 bucks for one you got robbed.........................
sarge

Re: kel-tec 380

Postby andysbeef » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:22 am

Sarge;
Why don't you tell us how you really feel about it???? :D

I took the liberty to copy your note over to my 'Harley' forum. This guy is going to purchase, and a few of us are telling him what NOT to get. So far there are 1911's and a couple of 9mm of what he SHOULD look at.
andysbeef

Postby andysbeef » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:45 am

OK, just for kicks.........we did identify a couple of guns that are a P.O.S. right from the get-go (Beretta .357 Cougar & Kel-Tec 380) but I'm guilty as charged. Here's some stuff from my owners manual that I'm not doing 100%. (The Beretta .357 no-no comes from my 'biker' forum).
RECOMMENDED SAFETY FEATURE INSPECTION:
To insure the highest degree of functional integrity and self-protection readiness, it is recommended that the pistol be submitted to a periodical cleaning and safety feature, etc. inspection by a competent gunsmith or armorer. This is particularly important when the pistol has been exposed to excessive shooting, adverse field condition usage, dropped against a hard surface, sand, mud or into salt water.
MAINTENANCE:
FIELD STRIPPING:
WHAT TO USE FOR CLEANING:
BARREL CLEANING AND LUBRICATION:
SLIDE CLEANING AND LUBRICATION:
RECOIL SPRING AND GUIDE LUBRICATION:
FRAME CLEANING AND LUBRICATION:
MAGAZINE CLEANING AND CARTRIDGE ROTATION:
AFTER FIELD STRIPPING ASSEMBLY & CHECK:
AMUNITION:
DRY FIRING "DUMMY" ROUNS, SPRING LOADED PRIMER:

I didn't find a number to suggest what is 'excessive shooting' but I guess it's a 'feel' thing:
1,000 rounds in bad conditions?????
2,000 rounds in clean conditions???
I only have about 300 rounds through the (USED) gun but never figured about taking it in to an armorer/gunsmith for regular maintenance.

Damn, the last 'smith' that I tried didn't seem to be worth a shit . I just might call/e-mail Beretta to see what they have to say.

Man, Beretta really has there shit together. I just talked with a rep. He says if you are concerned about the reliability or,like in my case, do not know the history of the gun, It should be looked at, inspection/overhaul.
$70 plus parts and about 6-8 weeks turnaround.
He gave exact instructions of who to ship it with. What to send with the gun, and how to package it. He even told me when the gun was made.

I'm impressed.
andysbeef

Postby stevieray » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:59 pm

The Bersa Thunder 380 is actually a pretty good piece for the money. I bought one for the OL and so for after several hundred rounds not a single problem, no jams, and pretty accurate to boot. I still prefer my Glocks but that little Bersa is alright. It's a lot better shooter than my Beretta Tomcat with it's 20 lb trigger.
stevieray

Postby andysbeef » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Ray, I'm shooting the hell out of my Beretta 9mm #92-FS and having no problems with it. I did pull a bone-head move. Our CCW instructor (Sarge) holds advanced tactical shoots. At the last shoot there was this 'quick draw' exercise. Pulled my gun and the whole damn clip holster came flying out. It was a temporary holster, I was waiting for shipment on the one I ordered. For the next shoot I have the good one now. For the (first time) quick draw & hitting the target I was 1.6 seconds.....not bad for 'NOT' being a Texan.....:-) don't cha think??? We are going to do this again at the next shoot and I will have my 'REAL' holster.
Attachments
Beretta 92FS.jpg
Beretta 92FS.jpg (3.69 KiB) Viewed 9735 times
andysbeef

Postby stevieray » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:17 pm

That's a good exercise to eliminate those kind of problems. I've always carried the same way for yrs depending on what I'm packing. Wish I was close enough to get in on ya'lls shoots.
BTW Andy, do you reload? Damn ammo prices have gone out the roof.
stevieray

Postby andysbeef » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Ray,...Sarge, our CCW instructor has the coolest classes going. In the CCW class and ALL the other tactical shoots (once a month) we NEVER once shot at a bulls eye target....groupings, human silhouettes, through doorways, sitting and through a (simulated) car window, getting your gun & mag in ALMOST dark out of a nightstand and loading/firing a group, hole-in-a-hole etc. All kinds of great shit. Hell we even had one running forward and firing 6 shots then hide and reload then run backwards while firing 6 more rounds.....whew.
I don't reload and prices here are also bad, but worse yet, you can't find ANYTHING to buy. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Meijers, WalMart, K-Mart, local sporting goods all have EMPTY Shelves of 9mm, .38, .38 Special, .380, .357 Magnum, & 45. Sooooo for the hell of it Tuesday I called the Winchester/Olin ammo factory to find out what was going on. Had a good conversation with them.....bottom line, every line (the whole plant) is working 24/7 balls to the wall, can't produce any more than they are right now. The guy told me because of what may or may-not happen this summer if I found any 9mm I better buy an extra box. What may or may-not happen is posted here (ammo coding etc.).
Attachments
Firearm Salesman of the Year.jpg
Firearm Salesman of the Year.jpg (14.52 KiB) Viewed 9733 times
andysbeef

Postby Woody » Thu May 07, 2009 11:27 am

Sarge
I know I'm the NFG here but I gotta say your way off base on the KelTec .380 auto
For a pocket gun I wouldnt swap it for nuthin
By far its no comparison to my P90 Ruger but its not meant to be
Its a belly gun made for ultimate concealmeant
maximum range 15 to 25 ft
best range 5 to 10 (life threating situation)
Ive ran a couple hundred rounds thru mine FMJ and Jacketed hollow points with never a jam or missfire
have actually gotten pretty good with it at 25 ft (can keep it in the torso of a sillouite
Field strips easier than my S&W 659 for cleaning
The sights Once again this is a extreme close range gun like any gun of its size so the molded sights in the slide are more than suitable
So I guess Im sayin is each gun has a purpose And in my humble opinion the KelTec .380 for what it was designed for get 5 stars in my book
Sure if I have the proper cover without lookin conspicuase the Ruger p90 is the waistban
but if im on vacation in the summer out with the grandkids the P3AT will be in my front pocket and no one will know the better
Woody

Return to Gun Control - Warrior's Wisdom - Self Defense