MDOT, A Joke

Today's current politicians got your shorts in an uproar? George Bush, Obama, immigration - the "anchors" sinking our ship, whatever - Sound off here! Read the Muslim BS here, 'religion (?) of peace' MY ASS!

MDOT, A Joke

Postby andysbeef » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 am

Lets reorganize MDOT (Michigan Department of Transportation). We need to eliminate the design/engineering section of MDOT, and go private (Ghifari & Asc., Dearborn, MI., an excellent firm with integrity), I have used them in the past. The highway department’s bridges have been falling down forever. They have damaged cars, injured people, caused excessive maintenance costs and wouldn't surprise me, if falling debris has killed someone. The bridges are designed where there is exposed (overhanging) concrete and the new replacements are the same design. If this was a private company it would have been bankrupt a long time ago. The auto companies couldn't get away with behavior like this, there would have been a recall mandated by the Feds. Let a private concern redesign the bridges using up-to-date 21st Century materials, with stainless steel, plastics, carbon fiber and other dependable durable products. The bridges will initially cost more than the current design to build but they wouldn’t:
a) Damage cars with falling parts.
b) Injure/kill anyone with falling parts.
c) Have high maintenance costs forever.
d) Cause traffic jams forever during repair. Just a topside repaving ever so often and this, because of the redesign, should NOT cause traffic below to be diverted.
e) Need to be replaced as often (if ever).
I'm not an Architectural Designer (Mechanical), but I sure can envision a better designed bridge/overpass than whats out there now. You have got to remember, throughout Michigan, somewhere someplace, there are always chunks of concrete falling down on the traffic below.
Back in the 60's they started using (testing?) 'Cor-Ten' beams. This is a material that rusted over a tough 'skin' and would NOT stain the concrete and did NOT need painting. OH gee, lets not use that, our painting crews won't have anything to do. I don't know if they abandoned the use of it or not. Doesn't appear that they are using it when you drive along the freeways.
andysbeef

Re: MDOT, A Joke

Postby andysbeef » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Take a good thing like 'round-a-bouts'. I first experienced them out of Boston's airport.....what a great thing, till they came to Michigan and MDOT screwed them up and made them confusing and DANGEROUSE.
Attachments
MDOT.jpg
MDOT.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 6305 times
More From M-DOT.jpg
More From M-DOT.jpg (5.02 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
andysbeef

Postby andysbeef » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:04 am

A little side note:
They, MDOT, still hasen't figured out what the RH turning radius is for an 18 wheeler. The majority of corners have the curbs broken to bits and/or the sod in heaps. OHHHHHHHHHH keeps their maintenance crews busy, I get it.
andysbeef

Postby andysbeef » Sat May 28, 2011 9:57 am

Speaking of keeping their maintenance crews busy. Did you notice that the Detroit area freeways are getting new lights???? BUT what I want to know is:
1) If the freeways do need new lights (?) why wasn't a replacement 'top' designed to retrofit onto the existing poles????

There are so many lights that a 'new' top design along with the build/purchase would make it an inexpensive proposition. But noooooo, they are shit canning the existing poles and putting up a whole NEW pole 'assembly'. Now, if that wasn't bad enough they are NOT using the existing mounting location. They are going downstream about 10 feet cutting a new hole in the cement median barrier, re-wiring, adding re-rod, pouring cement and making a new mounting pad, then patching up the median barrier where the existing pole was mounted just 10 feet away.

This is nuts and a huge waste of taxpayers money!!!!! WHY????

Am I missing something????
andysbeef

Postby andysbeef » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 am

Well the other thing that messes me up and other people....by hearing comments, is how MDOT puts names/numbers on roads. When a road ENDS they are hell-bent not to stop the name or number of a road. They will continue, especially, the number and add it to another number confusing the hell out of people.
Woodward, M-1 crosses Square Lake Road M-24, but now lets call this M-24 instead of M-1. Wait, we just crossed M-24 but this M-24 is about a mile east of the other M-24 and north of the M-24 that we crossed...HUH???? But wait, there is another M-24 that goes through Auburn Hills, N/E out of pontiac. The M-24 going N/W out of Pontiac will soon change to M-15....WHAT?
M-19 south ends at Gratiot M-3 but lets call Gratiot M-19 (instead of M-3) to New Haven road then we'll call Gratiot M-3 again....HUH????
Folks, just a couple of examples but there are hundreds if not thousands of these road hazzards that MDOT creates.
MDOT really has their head up their ass!
It's Plymouth Rd. in Ann Arbor BUT it's Ann Arbor Rd. in Plymouth....HUH?
When Plymouth Rd. ends, in Plymouth, at N. Mill St. NO WAIT, N. Lilly Rd. IT SHOULD BE THE END OF PLYMOUTH ROAD! Now Mill & Lilly are ANOTHER story. There is no end to this with MDOT.
andysbeef

Postby andysbeef » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 am

Well, it's that time again....POT-HOLES.

Don't know if anyone else sees the same thing that I do but the pot holes seem to be in direct coralation to MDOT not using expansion strips. Yep, expansion strips no longer are used and ALL the pot holes are at/start at the corners of the slab where a SAW cut a kerf in the ribbon of cement, I guess for expansion. But that's a joke cause the kerf does NOT go all the way through the slab and when it expands it pops the corners then progresses along the kerf. The kerf looks to be around 3/16" compared to the expansion strip at about 1/2" - 5/8".
I think that MDOT thinks that it's cheaper to pour a continouse slab then cut it then fix all the pot-holes rather than inserting an expansion strip creating far less pot-holes.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
andysbeef

Return to Politics and political issues: Republicans, Democrats, State, Federal